Jobs & Training
- IMS Internship Program
- Temporarily CanceledWe regret to inform you that we have decided to cancel the February 2021 call for interns in the period of June-August, 2021, because of the persisting COVID-19 problem. Once we resume the call for interns, we will update this website.
Program descriptionThe RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences was established in 2013 with the aims of creating innovative medical science and contributing to the future of human health. To accomplish these goals, IMS applies interdisciplinary approaches to create a new research area, "integrative medical sciences", which includes genome-wide medical science, immunology and physiology, bioinformatics, and molecular, biochemical and quantitative sciences.
In April 2018, we launched a new internship grant program to host young distinguished international scientists who carry out research activities in IMS laboratories. In this program, there are two support categories: category 1 is for graduate students and category 2 is for young postdocs. IMS provides the following support to conduct an internship at IMS. Category 1: lodging (up to 3,500 yen/day) and travel expenses, and an internship allowance (3,000 yen/working day).
Category 2: lodging (up to 11,600 yen/day for the first 30 days, then up to 10,440 yen for days 31-60, and then up to 9,280 yen for 61 days or longer) and travel expenses. No daily allowance is provided.
EligibilityApplicants in category 1 must be students in a Master's or Ph.D. program or medical students at a grade equivalent to a Master's student in Japan. Applicants in category 2 must be young postdocs who received their Ph.D. within the last three years. Applicants cannot be between programs or positions during the proposed internship period. Selection will be made on a competitive basis.
Application procedurePlease submit the following documents in English to (ims_intern[at]ml.riken.jp) (replace "[at]" with "@") in the order listed below in a single PDF file titled "Lastname-Firstname-YearMonthDay". Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. CV with a current photo.
2. Purpose of the internship. Please describe the research theme or technologies of your interest and explain why you hope to conduct an internship at IMS. [up to 1 A4 page]
3. Summary of your research background. [up to 1 A4 page]
4. List of up to three laboratories in IMS that you hope to conduct the internship in. For more information about the laboratories, please refer to the IMS website http://www.ims.riken.jp/english/laboratories/.
5. The dates you wish to conduct the internship at IMS (up to 3 months).
6. Signed recommendation letter (on institute letterhead) from your supervisor or department head during the proposed internship period. [Optionally, the recommendation letter may be sent directly to us at the email address above.]
7. Consent form (EU residents only)
Download Consent Form_GDPR
To comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), RIKEN is now required to obtain your consent in collecting personal data. Please sign the consent form and submit to us.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
October 1, 2020, 5 PM (JST) (for interns in the period of January-March, 2021*)
February 19, 2021, 5 PM (JST) (for interns in the period of June-August, 2021*)
*The internship dates are negotiable.
NotificationCandidates will be notified of their application results about one month after the submission deadline.
Cancellation policySuccessful applicants should note that they will be responsible for any applicable cancellation fees related to their travel and accommodation arrangements should they withdraw from the internship program. There are no exceptions to this policy for any reason, including personal emergencies.
ContactFor questions regarding the program, please contact the IMS Internship Program Committee at the following e-mail address: ims_intern[at]ml.riken.jp
IMS Internship Grants